Saturday, May 05, 2007

21st century coming to life

I was just thinking about SF literature, how interesting what we used to read 20 years ago as SF, is now reality. Take, for example, a SF book of a Russian writer, his name is Kiril Buliciov, and the book is called "The Little Girl of Planet Earth", and she travels all around our galaxy, and they have, well, a video-phone. I used to dream about seeing the other person when I talk on the phone, I used to wish this would actually happen, and that I could see whom I'm talking to. Well, as you can easily see nowadays, the "video-phone" is a reality! I have it on my own computer, as instant messenger, and I really really love it! Absolutely love it! This is my own future! This is the future coming to life, the future I was reading about 20 years ago! It's awesome!
More than that, I actually talked over the phone yesterday with the head of the Mars Society, Mr. Robert Zubrin, who is actually preparing a manned expedition to Mars!!! Imagine that! For real, in my lifetime! And I talked to this man! The society has a website, it's www.marssociety.org and they're on an expedition now in Arctic Canada to prepare for a Mars landing. He even wrote a book, a SF book for now, about it. But who knows, whatever is SF now, could be reality in 20 years time, right? Look at my video-phone I just used talking to my mom some 6,000 miles away from me.
What would I want to see as a reality from all the SF books I ever read? First of all, teleportation, no doubt about it. Second, cryogenic sleep. Third, warp speed, or whatever type of speed faster than the speed of light, I am not picky. And so many other miraculous things! Like Jules Verne. Remember his novels written in the 19th century, about going to the Moon and under the sea? Well, humankind has done it all, for real! Who is to say that we cannot do whatever we want with our future?
Good luck and godspeed!

1 Comments:

At 6:42 AM , Blogger Bambi said...

What did I tell you?
Here is another example:
http://blog.scifi.com/tech/archives/2007/05/07/desktop_factory.html
Don't you just love the 21st century? I surely do...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home