Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Romanian movies

One Romanian film and movie maker actually won this year's Palme d'Or! His name is Cristian Mungiu and he's only 39 years old! They will be showing this movie on the opening night of the Transilvania International Film Festival in Cluj-Napoca, beginning of June, and then during the festival, again in Sibiu, later on. I wish I was there! To watch movie projections in the Little Square in Sibiu, the Culture Capital of Europe 2007. I feel like I'm missing a lot of good things by not being in Romania right now. I feel left out, even though I chose not to be there.
So, I am trying to feel a little Romanian here, being abroad, by going to see Romanian movies, tonight and on Saturday night, within the Eastern European Film Festival here in Montreal. Tonight we're going to see "The Bastards" with Stefan Iordache (apparently the actor himself will be there), and on Saturday we will watch "Cum mi-am petrecut sfarsitul lumii", a movie about December 1989 from the point of view of a 10-year old boy trying to rescue his sister. I can't hardly wait!
All this to say that I kind of miss that part of Romania, that part of Cluj-Napoca and of Sibiu, and I wish I were there for a couple of days this summer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home